Apple Pie!

When we first found this property one of the very first things that came to mind was something along the lines of 'Oh my goodness I can make so many apple pies!' I mean who wouldn't think that when buying several acres of an old apple orchard. Sadly it has taken me about three years to finally get to make an apple pie from our apples. The first year we owned the property we ended up getting up here a little late in the apple season and decided to make apple cider with the still viable apples. Then last year there wasn't a single apple on the entire mountain, due to a  late frost that killed all of the blossoms. 

This year I decided was the year to give it a go, despite not having a real oven (next week we should have the permeant power put in so I can finally hook up our real oven, which makes me so excited!!) So I went a head and made the apple pie in our very temperamental toaster oven. I have burned many a baked good in that thing, so I just altered the heating directions a little and luckily it worked perfectly this time! I was beyond excited especially because I had a little audience anticipating some yummy pie. 
Normally when I make apple pie (or any pie for that matter) I use this pie crust recipe, because it is the greatest pie crust ever! Unfortunately we don't have a really great prep area in our kitchen as of right now, plywood counter tops ugh, so I just used some store bought pie crust (Food Lion brand) and it tasted pretty yummy. If you end up making that crust for this pie be sure to double the recipe so you have enough for the top crust too. Alright, now that I am sure I've got your mouth watering with these pictures, on to the recipe! 

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
3 Tbs flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar 
1/2 cup brown sugar
10-12 small-medium tart green apples (I love tart and sweet combo)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Cut your apples anyway you like them, I like to have the pieces pretty thick and have the skin still on them. Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Once melted add in flour and stir unti mixture thickens. Add white and brown sugar and stir while bringing to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer. You want it to be a thicker syrup mixture. 

Put your crust in a well greased pie dish. Fill with apples and create a kind of mound. Next pour your sugar syrup over top slowly as to make sure it does not run off. Be sure to cut some vent holes on your top curst before coving the apples. 

Cook for 30-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. 
I originally found this recipe here
Let me know if you try this recipe out, I would love to hear if you guys love it as much as I do! 

Hope everyone is having a wonderful Tuesday! 

x's and o's

33 comments:

  1. I can vouch for the deliciousness! I'm so impressed at what you can cook in that set-up, Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Hannah! And I must say it was pretty darn good the next day too when Will and I finished it off for dinner haha!

      Delete
  2. Looks utterly scrumptious!

    http://aclosetintellectual.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, it looks absolutely delicious! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It was seriously so good!

      Delete
  4. That looks amazing! But one question, where's the cinnamon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness you are right! I cannot believe I am been making this for the past year or so without cinnamon! I'm going to have to add it in next time I make it for sure.

      Delete
  5. oh wow, this looks absolutely delicious! i need to try it! if only i was a good cook/baker! ;)
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should give it a try, if you buy the pie crust it's pretty darn simple.

      Delete
  6. Looks so so so so good. Mouth is watering. Yum. Will have to wait for the apple trees in the garden to be ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could hardly wait for it to be done cooking it smelled so wonderful! And using your own fruit I think makes it all the better!

      Delete
  7. mmm nothing beats home made apple pie x

    ReplyDelete
  8. yes! thanks for posting. I can't wait to have a chance to try to bake this

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks yummy. But, to be honest, I've never made an apple pie at home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks delicious!! I've never made apple pie, I always make apple crumble instead but I'm definitely going to have to give this a go!

    Gem x
    http://www.gemmameansjewel.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. YESSS I am so excited to try out this recipe! Your pie just looked so delicious that I wanted to have it in my house, too! Thank you for sharing, you are definitely a master in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks great! I think it's super awesome the apples came from your very own orchard

    ReplyDelete
  13. how cool that you have your very own apple trees!! your home sounds so dreamy. and this apple pie just made me hungry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! My friend Andie told me about you blog and your story, and it sounds so exciting! My husband is attempting some kind of mini/mixed/urban or hand. We have two apple trees, a peach, an apricot, a tangelo, and a lemon tree. I think we'll have a few apples this year! Maybe enough to make an apple tartlet, haha!
    I have a question though, do you stew the apples in the syrupy mixture, or separately? The first time I tried to make apple pie, the crust didn't turn out right. I will try the one you recommend next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope I don't stew the apples in the syrup mixture, I just make sure to pour the mixture all over the apples once in the pie. Hope that helps, and let me know how it works out of you!

      Delete
  15. Hey lady! I'm so glad you stopped by my blog and said hi. Wow, I can't imagine baking a pie in a toaster oven. Half the time, I burn TOAST in the toaster oven. You've got some mad skills! I'm really interested in learning about the process of building a house with your own two hands... definitely going to keep reading. :)

    <3 jen @ stuff jen did

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely LOVE it. My recipe is pretty much the same and I make it on special occasions with vanilla ice cream.
    It's the most comforting dish EVER!

    ReplyDelete
  17. mmm this looks absolutely delicious! apple pie is my absolute favorite :) my cooking skills are far from great, but i'm learning--maybe i'll have to test out this recipe next!

    xo,
    kristyn

    ReplyDelete
  18. This makes me wish I could eat gluten :( le sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ive noticed an increasing trend in apple recipes and the love for apples in general ;p

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to say hello! I love reading each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...