Yummy Apple Cider | Little Lady Little City: Yummy Apple Cider

Yummy Apple Cider

As you have probably already guessed I love apples, which is probably a good thing seeing how Will and I do live in an old apple orchard, hehe. This time of year is seriously the best time ever. Not only is the weather starting to cool down, but all the apples are ripe for the picking! Which means tons of apple related yummies, like apple pies, apple pancakes, and apple cider!

One of our wedding gifts was an apple masher, which we put to good use when our friend Shaye came back up for a visit over the weekend. Unfortunately we didn't get the apple press part (the squeezer) but that didn't stop up from creating our own press!
The first time we made apple cider was when about 2 years ago, and Shaye was actually there then too. We didn't have any apple cider tools so we chopped up apples and put them in a food processor to get it mashed up enough to squeeze. It worked out pretty wonderfully until we burned out the motor on it haha, but by that point we had made about 2 gallons. 
Our apple masher at work! So much easier to do it this way! 
To get the juice out we used our press from 2 years ago, which as you can see, is two buckets with the top one being full of cement. We still needed some more weight to really squeeze out the juice, hence the cinder block and Will putting his weight on it! It not might be the most efficient way to squeeze apples but it worked pretty darn wonderfully for us. We ended up mixing some of our fresh cider with some moonshine our neighbor gave us as a wedding gift, haha only in West Virginia. 

Have you guys ever tried to make your own cider? 

Hope everyone had a great weekend, and is having a nice Monday! 

x's and o's

22 comments:

  1. Amazing! So lucky that you have so many ripe and delicious apples at your disposal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actualyl used to work at a living history museum and we made apple cider with a big cement wheel and a hollowed out tree, haha. Authentic to the 17th century here in MD. I used a giant stick to knock the apples out of the tree before letting them soften and I don't know how you like your cider apples but I say "the more brusies, the better" because they behave so well when you're pressing them. It was soooo delicious and such a fun experience. I'm totally jealous that you have all of this at your disposal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love brewing, me and my flatmates tried cider and some wine last year, but it wasn't dantastic. I'm gonna try and perfect it this winter though. I love all the apples at this time of year too, I'm not a big pumpkin fan but apples are amazing! I wish there was somewhere round here I could pick some xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are just the cutest and most wonderful down to earth people ever. I love this! I've never even imagined making my own cider or anything like that actually. Looks awesome!

    xomando

    ReplyDelete
  5. how cool! i've never made cider. or even gone apple picking, though i've always wanted too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. what an awesome wedding gift! definitely beats getting the usual toaster haha. and that's so great you can make apple cider on a whim- i totally want this

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never made my own cider, but I bet it tastes so much better knowing you made it. I would love to try it someday.

    <3 Melissa
    wildflwrchild.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never tried but it looks yummy!

    www.daisyraeboutique.com
    www.kacieskloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. WHAT?!!? this is so cool. i have never tried to do this- it looks harddddd but apple cider is so yummy im drinking some now

    <3 katherine

    ReplyDelete
  10. After reading this post I HAD to have apple cider. Dan is currently driving around Toronto.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so good, and so neat to have your own apple orchard! Love it! xo Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. You live on an apple orchard?!!!! I'm jealous.

    I'm really wanting to go apple picking this year. Also, I've never tried to make my own cider, but I get some from a local place that is soooo goood. I do make a mean apple tart though... yum!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That is so cool! I've never made cider before but I've made apple sauce :-D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must say, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that has worked a food processor to death. Mine died by babaghanouj. Lovely. I'd love to have an apple orchard! You must be in apple heaven. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for commenting on my blog today! Because now I've found yours! It's pretty spectacular (:


    emmellekay.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I haven't yet, but it looks like a blast. fabulous post, love. If you get a sec, I'd love if you'd check out my latest post and two page magazine spread. Eek. :) xo

    www.fashboulevard.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. You live in your own apple orchard?! How amazing is that?! That looks like so much fun! Apple pie a la mode every week would be had! -Jessica L

    THEJESSICALBLOG.COM

    ReplyDelete
  18. So sad I missed this!! It looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. How cool! I love apples and anything made with apples. I've never tried to make my own cider before, though! I love making apple cookies. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by to say hello! I love reading each and every comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...